Monday, April 27, 2009

A Heavenly Prescription for Swine Flu

Photo: Glen Coe Scotland 2005
What is the BEST medicine for the Swine Flu and the fear it has sent around the country and around the world? The living active breath of God-His Word-and in this case, especially Psalm 91.

Why do I call it medicine? God's Word calls itself medicine in Proverbs:
My son, give attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings.Do not let them depart from your eyes;Keep them in the midst of your heart; For they are life to those who find them,And health to all their flesh. Proverbs 4:20-22


...and again in Psalms:

He sent His word and healed them,
And delivered them from their destructions.
Psalm 107:20



In addition to forgiveness of sins, healing for our physical bodies is part of the atonement that Jesus accomplished for us:

But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
Isaiah 53:5


Bless the LORD, O my soul;
And all that is within me, bless His holy name!
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget not all His benefits:
Who forgives all your iniquities,
Who heals all your diseases,
Who redeems your life from destruction,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,
Who satisfies your mouth with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.
Psalm 103:1-5


Now Im not saying that you shouldnt go to the Doctor, or take "earthly" medicine...but that can only help so much. In the case of the Swine Flu, the FEAR is potentially as much a problem as the flu itself and God's Medicine has healing for both problems.

Psalm 91 has so many incredible promises...I encourage you to read this out loud any time you are feeling concerned or afraid:


Psalm 91


1 He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”


3 Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler[a]
And from the perilous pestilence.
4 He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge;
His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
5 You shall not be afraid of the terror by night,
Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
6 Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.


7 A thousand may fall at your side,
And ten thousand at your right hand;
But it shall not come near you.

8 Only with your eyes shall you look,
And see the reward of the wicked.


9 Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge,
Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10 No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;

11 For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
12 In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.
14 “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him on high, because he has known My name.
15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him,
And show him My salvation.”

AMEN!!:)

NOTE: If you would like more teaching about God's will for our healing and/or freedom from fear there are some great free teaching resources available online:

God's Will to Heal by Keith Moore
Free From All Fears by Keith Moore

God Wants You Well by Andrew Wommack
Eternal Life by Andrew Wommack
Christian Survival Kit by Andrew Wommack

Here are some of my favorite books by Andrew Wommack:

5 comments:

  1. How very encouraging! there are alot of scary things going on in this country right now , and i have to continually keep the word on my lip or the fear runs away with me...thank you for your writings!and AMEN! Love to you, Kimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two awards waiting for you on my blog Jodi's Journey

    I love your blog, I may not comment, but I read it all of the time. Your an inspiration to me and thank you for that. I hope you will accept the two awards and my friendship as well.

    God bless.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jodi and Kimi! I have not kept up with this blog as much as I would like, but hope to remedy that in the near future..Jodi, thank you for the awards!! Im sorry I didnt get to them sooner, but I did add you to my EC faves so hopefully will stay in touch better now:) Grace & Peace be with you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do you suppose Joni Erikson Tada has never been healed? Does she not have enough faith? What could be the reason?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jerry, thanks for commenting! I dont know Joni, and we arent supposed to judge, so I wouldnt want to comment on her situation personally:)

    There are a lot of reasons why people don't get healed, but its never because God wants them to be sick or infirm-healing is as much a part of the atonement as salvation (Isaiah 61,Isaiah 53:5, Psalm 103, 1 Peter 2:24, etc).

    The bottom line is our relationship with God personally...we shouldnt focus on other people and why things didnt happen, we can focus on His Word, on growing in Him-seek God firsthand- ask HIM this question personally:

    "James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

    One point tho- not everything that happens on this earth is the will of God. For instance it states clearly in the Word that He is not willing for ANYONE to Perish in 2 peter 3:9...but people still choose to deny Him and go to Hell :/).

    Just as he did with the children of Israel in Deut 30:19, He gives us the choice and he also gave us the authority (only as we are IN Christ, not in and of ourselves:) here on the Earth (Matthew 28:18-19, Luke 10:19-20, Ephesians 1:20,2:6,3:20) - that is why it is SO vital that we submit that choice to Him so he can direct our steps and lead us in the paths of righteousness for His names sake:)

    "The God's Will to Heal" series by Keith Moore and "God Wants You Well" series by Andrew Wommack that I linked to above both go into this in much more detail and should help answer your general question much better than I can in this small space:)

    ReplyDelete